Wow, this was simply delicious. Brown rice with chickpeas, broccoli, edamame and avocado – so glad I gave the avocado a second chance, after thinking for years that I don’t like it, haha.
Coconut Black Rice Breakfast Pudding
1 cup / 200g black rice, soaked overnight (if possible)
1 can full-fat coconut milk (reserve a couple tablespoons for garnish, if desired)
½ cup water with soaked rice, 1 ½ cups water with un-soaked rice
¼ tsp. fine grain sea salt
½ vanilla bean (optional)
1 Tbsp. maple syrup (or other sweetener of your choice)
1/3 cup coconut flakes, lightly toasted
Fruits of your choosing:
1. Measure out rice, rinse and cover with water. Let soak overnight or for up to 8 hours (even one hour makes a difference!). Drain and rinse well again.
2. Place rice in a pot with coconut milk, salt, vanilla bean (seeds and pod) and the indicated amount of water. Bring to a boil, reduce to simmer and cook covered, stirring frequently, until the rice is tender and most of the liquid has been absorbed (you still want a little liquid). Times vary depending on whether or not you soaked the rice: for un-soaked rice, cook 45-60 minutes; for soaked rice, cook about 25-30 minutes. Add maple syrup and fold to combine. Remove from heat and set aside.
3. While the rice is cooking, prepare all the fruit that you would like to accompany the pudding.
4. To assemble, scoop out desired amount of black rice into a bowl, top with fruit, toasted coconut, and a drizzle of coconut milk. Enjoy.
Sampling the all North Shore’s Açaí food trucks 🍓🍌✌️ (at Turtle Bay Resort)
Falafels are my fave right now ✌️
- spinach salad with quinoa, soy ginger chicken, purple cabbage, grated carrot, sliced tomato, garnished cilantro avocado and toasted sesame seeds
- yogurt with raspberries kiwi and grated ginger topped with (unpictured) toasted coconut on the side